Monday 20 September 2010

Fabulous Fashion Avenue



A couple of days ago I discovered something magnificent! Fashion Avenue in Dubai Mall!! A separate enclave cut off from the rest of the mall and home to every high-end designer under the sun... Salvatore Ferragamo, Stella McCartney, Oscar De La Renta, Marc Jacobs, Roberto Cavalli...

And the best part – you can wander in, try on some clothes, admire the fabric... feel the textures and absorb the general feeling of fabulousness that these places exude.

Well as much as I love art, fashion, clothes, pouring over the latest designer collections online, I've never been able to afford such luxury, so looking around these shops and just being in the presence of such mastery is the next best thing.

I'm usually way too overwhelmed by my 'I'm not worthy' mentality to enter the really super-duper high-end designer boutiques like these. I remember backpacking around Italy when I was 19 and gazing with *longing* into the designer stores along Rome's Via dei Condotti, but being way to scared of the militant security guards at the door to actually go in.

Well times are a changing... in Dubai at least, and I was free to browse, enjoying a chit chat with the store workers about the great designs and try on a few select pieces in Stella McCartney:


(I love this but sadly not a good look for real women! ;)

Marc Jacobs:




I looked around Oscar de la Renta and literally thought I'd died and gone to heaven. How is it even legal to design such beautiful clothes, lol!? I picked a beautiful, voluptuous gown off the rack and held it against myself in the mirror... an instant transformation back to every little girl's fantasy of becoming a real-life princess fairy! Lol And then looking at the price tag (as if I could afford it anyway!!) was instantly pulled straight back to earth with a bang! Dh45,000!!!! That's about 7,000 quid!!! Holy crap! [cue a sharp intake of breath and me veeery carefully putting the dress back where I found it! lol]







Anyway, a girl can dream and dream I do! :) And for anyone in Dubai, I'd recommend a trip to Fashion Avenue for sure!!! :)

On a lighter (high street) note, I'm really loving French Connection right now! These days I've taken to snapping pictures of myself whenever I try on something that I really, really love. That way I don't just buy everything in sight... and can sit on it for a week to see if I still feel the same way in a few days time – my nifty money-saving plan! :)

However, French Connection [sigh] ... I just love everything, and pictures really aren't helping me make a decision... For the past week, I've been slowly talking myself into buying every one of these fabulous dresses! Eeeek! :) Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment