Wednesday 7 July 2010

Magic of Mauerpark

There's a park in Berlin called Mauerpark (wall park) that used to be a patch of no man's land when the Berlin wall still stood (the death strip actually).

Every Sunday it takes on a real Glastonbury type of festival atmosphere with flea markets, drummers, dancers... and of course the infamous open air karaoke - now a Berlin institution. Even in winter when it's freezing cold outside, you can warm yourself with a gluhwein and a hot pancake and enjoy the market and buskers.

When I was last in Berlin, there was news that some apartment blocks were going to be built there - and people were organising big demonstrations to save their favourite park.

Anyway, here are a couple of clips I found on youtube that help give an idea of the atmosphere here - and gave me a giggle at the same time!

This guy really made me laugh:


Check out the guy on the right:


Michael Jackson lives on:


Karaoke documentary:


Music making:


Drummers:


Mauerpark stands as another example of my whole 'kids are out to play' theory I wrote about in my last post. It's so nice to see how something as sinister as the Berlin wall death strip can be transformed into such a celebration of life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment